patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Pointers to Web 2.0 patterns

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Pointers to Web 2.0 patterns

  • From: "Jens Dietrich" <j.b.dietrich AT massey.ac.nz>
  • To: "'Jason Yip'" <jchyip AT gmail.com>, "'Dragos Manolescu'" <dmanoles AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Pointers to Web 2.0 patterns
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:12:24 +1200

I am not sure whether this is what you are after – it is not a web2.0 pattern as such but a pattern for web2.0 client applications. We call it DistributedProperties, and it is similar to DynamicObjectModel (http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/papers/dom/DynamicObjectModel.pdf). Properties are not parts of an object but provided by property providers and scoped with unique name spaces.

Here is the usage scenario: the objects represent resources on the web, and you want to reason about them (for instance, whether they are trustworthy). The resources might have some built-in properties (like the URL, name, type etc), but more interesting (in order to figure out whether you can trust them) are properties provided by other parties, such as:

- the delicious bookmark count

- the Google page rank

- how often this resource is referenced in a certain blog

- aggregated feedback data from a dedicated feedback server

Delicious, Google etc are the PropertyProviders.

We have implemented this within the WebOfPatterns project (http://www-ist.massey.ac.nz/wop/) – the idea is that resources are design patterns encoded in RDF and published on standard web servers. The patterns can be discovered in social networks, checked for trustworthiness with (SWRL) rules based on contributed properties and then loaded into Eclipse in order to check projects for instances of these patterns. The plugin based Eclipse environment is particularly useful to implement DistributedProperties: property provider is an extension point and there are plugins extending it for delicious, blogger etc.

There is also a paper about this that has a UML diagram of the pattern:

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/ASWEC.2007.51

Hope this helps, Jens