patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Any experiences about using ontologies to descibe patterns?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Any experiences about using ontologies to descibe patterns?

  • From: Christian Crumlish <xian AT yahoo-inc.com>
  • To: Jens Dietrich <j.b.dietrich AT massey.ac.nz>
  • Cc: Juha Parssinen <juha.parssinen AT vtt.fi>, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Any experiences about using ontologies to descibe patterns?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:14:52 -0700

there is also the never-quite-finished but implemented-by-Welie PLML format:

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/saf/patterns/plml.html

I hope to support that in the Yahoo! library sometime "real soon now."

--xian

On Oct 16, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Jens Dietrich wrote:

Hi Juha,

Yes, we have done exactly this. It has resulted in a Eclipse plugin that
can find and download pattern descriptions in RDF (instantiating an
ontology) from the web, and use them to find pattern instances in programs.

The software is available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/webofpatterns/

We haven't maintained it for some time, you might have to check out the
code from the repository and build it manually against latest versions
of Eclipse / Java.

Our original paper was

Dietrich, J., Elgar, C.: A formal Description of Design Patterns using
OWL. Proceedings of the 16th Australian Conference on Software
Engineering (ASWEC 2005), IEEE Computer Society, 2005.

We later extended this in various directions, this has resulted in these
papers:

Dietrich, J., Jones, N., Wright, J.: Using Social Networking and
Semantic Web Technology in Software Engineering - Use Cases, Patterns,
and a Case Study. Extended version of the ASWEC2007 paper, Journal for
Systems and Software (JSS). Volume 81, Issue 12 (December 2008), p.
2183-2193.

Dietrich, J., Elgar, C.: An Ontology Based Representation of Software
Design Patterns. In Toufik Taibi (editor): Design Pattern Formalization
Techniques. Idea Group Inc., 2007. ISBN: 978-1-59904-219-0.

Dietrich, J., Elgar, C.: Towards a Web of Patterns. Journal of Web
Semantics, Volume 5 , Issue 2 (June 2007), p. 108-116.

http://code.google.com/p/gql4jung/ is kind of a follow-on project, but
we are using graph queries instead of RDF to describe (anti-)patterns here.

Cheers, Jens

Quoting Juha Parssinen
<juha.parssinen AT vtt.fi>:

Dear All,

Do you have experience using semantics and ontologies to describe
patterns? Any links to success stories and failures? Reason why I ask
this in this forum is that some of associates have a project starting
where they are planning to do this kind of research in one particular
domain. Even I have some know-how about patterns and ontologies, in my
own work I have been using textual format (GOF, Coplien and
Alexandrian-like) to describe patterns.

Your help to find information about this subject will be much
appreciated.

Best regards,

Juha

Juha Parssinen wrote:
Dear All,

Do you have experience using semantics and ontologies to describe
patterns? Any links to success stories and failures? Reason why I ask
this in this forum is that some of associates have a project starting
where they are planning to do this kind of research in one particular
domain. Even I have some know-how about patterns and ontologies, in my
own work I have been using textual format (GOF, Coplien and
Alexandrian-like) to describe patterns.

Your help to find information about this subject will be much
appreciated.

Best regards,

Juha

Dr Jens Dietrich
Senior Lecturer Computer Science
School of Engineering and Advanced Technology
Massey University
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Phone: +64 6 350 5799 ext 2212
Email: