patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website

  • From: Linda Rising <risingl AT tds.net>
  • To: Hillside Europe <membersHillsideEurope AT yahoogroups.com>, Hillside Members <members AT hillside.net>, Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Shepherd <shepherd AT hillside.net>, roy <roy.bonney AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:53:20 -0500

Dear Patterns Folks,

I received the following interesting email from Roy. I'm not sure if anyone
is doing research in the areas he mentions. If anyone has any ideas or
suggestions, please send to:

roy <roy.bonney AT wanadoo.fr>

And, I'd like to hear about it, too :-)! Thanks!!

Linda

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 19:27:31 +0100 From: roy <roy.bonney AT wanadoo.fr> To: Linda Rising <risingl AT tds.net>

Yep I agree its a really nice presentation of ideas.

One thing that has always been a curious question for me, myself coming
from a mathematical background, is are the Gof4 set of patterns all
necessary (I think possibly) and are they sufficient?

I know there are a lot of extensions, and anti pattern type stuff.
But do you know if anyone has done any research on defining extensions
with sensible explanations as to there necessity?

Roy Bonney (retire software engineer, who used to use Gof4 patterns)