patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website

  • From: Eric Eide <eeide AT cs.utah.edu>
  • To: Linda Rising <risingl AT tds.net>, Hillside Europe <membersHillsideEurope AT yahoogroups.com>, Hillside Members <members AT hillside.net>, Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Shepherd <shepherd AT hillside.net>, roy <roy.bonney AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Fwd: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Fwd: Brand-New Design Patterns Website
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:04:51 -0600

Roy Bonney writes:

Roy> One thing that has always been a curious question for me, myself
Roy> coming from a mathematical background, is are the Gof4 set of
Roy> patterns all necessary (I think possibly) and are they
sufficient?

I'm not sure that I can answer your question directly, but I think that the
following book is related to the questions you are asking:

Jason McC. Smith. Elemental Design Patterns. Addison-Wesley
Professional, 2012.

The (abbreviated) summary from Amazon:

> After fifteen years, the field of design patterns is still missing a
> critical element: a foundation. [...] Smith introduces a
> foundational layer of patterns terminology: a collection of core
> patterns that can't be decomposed further. He presents these
> underlying basic concepts of programming clearly and concisely, in
> the same format as the classic "Gang of Four" patterns - thereby
> offering a taxonomy that virtually any developer can understand and
> apply.

Eric.

Eric Eide
<eeide AT cs.utah.edu>
. University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843
FAX