charm - Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Maksym Planeta <mplaneta AT os.inf.tu-dresden.de>
  • Cc: charm <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] AMPI automatic code transformation
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:30:51 -0500

Hi Maksym,

This tool was never publicly released, because it was tightly bound to particular versions of the Eclipse environment and the Photran add-on, and too much work to forward port once it was developed.

However, I may be able to offer you a solid substitute. We have developed a compiler-like tool based on the ROSE framework that can read the source code to identify all of the relevant global variables. From there, it can give you a list of source locations, and in many cases is able to both generate patch files with a transformation or directly emit transformed code.

The key questions to ask about your use case are
- What language is your code written in?
- What libraries (if any) does it rely on?
- What kind of environment will you use to run it?

The tooling and runtime system support we have for this are all still somewhat experimental. We would generally like to work with you to get new applications up and running, so that we can learn what more needs to be done to make the process easier and more robust.

Sincerely,

Phil Miller