gang-of-4-patterns - [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

[gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

  • From: "Freeman-Hargis, James" <jfreeman AT midwaygames.com>
  • To: <gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:17:10 -0500

I’m wondering if you can give me some additional details as to how these are different? Their applicability, purpose and structure seem nearly identical: make the behavior of the context class change dynamically as the state/strategy changes. Both patterns even mentions how they can be tied into the flyweight pattern. The only difference I can readily see is that the state pattern mentions transitions while the strategy does not. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time,

-James