gang-of-4-patterns - Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

  • From: "Clint Shank" <clintshank AT hotmail.com>
  • To: notbob AT tessellation.com, jfreeman AT midwaygames.com, gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:42:10 -0400

Right.

Also, in State, the dependencies are all tangled. States know about other States. They know how to transition to other States. They set the next State on the Context object. Sometimes the State base class knows about its subclasses. This is not the case in Strategy.

Another difference is that Strategy does the algorithmic work, whereas, in State, a State object usually just calls back to the Context to do the work.

Clint Shank