gang-of-4-patterns - RE: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

gang-of-4-patterns AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Design Patterns discussion

RE: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy

  • From: Jesús Alonso <kenchoweb AT hotmail.com>
  • To: jfreeman AT midwaygames.com, gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [gang-of-4-patterns] Pattern question: state vs. strategy
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:44:38 +0200

I'm wondering if you can give me some additional details as to how these
are different? Their applicability, purpose and structure seem nearly
identical: make the behavior of the context class change dynamically as
the state/strategy changes. Both patterns even mentions how they can be
tied into the flyweight pattern. The only difference I can readily see
is that the state pattern mentions transitions while the strategy does
not. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time,

-James

I'm not sure, as I haven't used Strategy pattern with the exception of academic purposes. Anyways, the difference I see between them is that the State pattern acts as a finite state machine, so the transitions between them are inside of them, hiding that responsibility away from the client, while the Strategy pattern requires the client to transition between strategies.