k-user - Re: [K-user] Semantics of garbage collecting and store normalisation

Re: [K-user] Semantics of garbage collecting and store normalisation

  • From: Mark Hills <Mark.Hills AT cwi.nl>
  • To: Emmanuel Castro <emmanuel.castro AT laposte.net>
  • Cc: k-user AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [K-user] Semantics of garbage collecting and store normalisation
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:45:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Manu,

We actually looked at garbage collection in an OO language in this paper:

http://fsl.cs.uiuc.edu/index.php/Memory_Representations_in_Rewriting_Logic_Semantics_Definitions

Note that this wasn't using the K framework, but instead used a K style of
definition with rewriting logic semantics and Maude.

I do think that normalizing the store would be an interesting topic to look
at. It definitely isn't trivial -- there has been some work in K on creating
an abstraction of memory usage for programs that cycle (I believe the proper
reference is here:
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-37635-1_4), and I'm sure
there are many other opportunities to apply techniques from areas like
symmetric reduction to K specifications. If there is other work on this that
I haven't mentioned, hopefully someone else on the list will jump in :)

Cheers,

Mark