maude-help - [Maude-help] [Maude on Windows] Calls to setitimer() and getitimer() in "loop" and "reduce"

[Maude-help] [Maude on Windows] Calls to setitimer() and getitimer() in "loop" and "reduce"

  • From: Scott <scottxyz AT usa.net>
  • To: <maude-help AT banyan.cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [Maude-help] [Maude on Windows] Calls to setitimer() and getitimer() in "loop" and "reduce"
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:37:05 -0400

Something is preventing Maude 2.0's "loop" command (needed to run Full Maude)
from running under Windows/LINE. From reviewing the source code, it seems that
the "loop" command uses Linux system calls to setitimer() and getitimer()
which are not supported in Windows/LINE.

On the other hand, Maude 2.0's "reduce" command *does* provide timing
information in Windows/LINE (for both CPU and real time). Both the "reduce"
command and the "loop" command use the "timer" class defined in source file
timer.cc - and the 'timer' class uses Linux system calls to setitimer() and
getitimer() - and I hesitate to tinker with this source code myself as I do
not want to break what is already working so well!

Could the implementation of "loop" be modified in a later release to provide
timing information *without* needing to call setitimer() and getitimer()? Or
perhaps a command-line option could be made available in the "loop" command to
toggle timing on or off, and Windows users could be instructed to shut timing
off as it is not supported on that platform.

The Core Maude 2.0 interpreter Linux i86 binary appears to run fine on
Windows/LINE. It seems we are also tantalizingly close to getting the Full
Maude 2.0 interpreter binary to also run on Windows/LINE.

Scott Alexander
Brooklyn, New York

  • [Maude-help] [Maude on Windows] Calls to setitimer() and getitimer() in "loop" and "reduce", Scott, 06/11/2003