patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

  • From: Dan Palanza <dan AT capecod.net>
  • To: <beedlem AT e-architects.com>, <feyerabend-project AT yahoogroups.com>, <livingmetaphor AT yahoogroups.com>, "'Patterns Discussion'" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:03:55 -0400

Hi Mike,

http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1143845

I vote that the whole thing is a colossal crock.

I found this statement both enlightening and amusing:
"'In 20 years time perhaps all computer systems will be built on a theory that is understood. We are trying to establish these theories.' "

First it admits to not understanding the present computer systems. That's a nice start. But "theory" implies a mathematical solution. Is there a single new "theory" that mathematics has added in the past 40 years for the benefit of understanding computing? It seems to me that if progress toward understanding computer systems will be made in the next twenty years that progress will begin when a community of users gets their fossilized mathematical reasoning about "theories" out of the way. The computer is a social science problem. Social science must deal with decision control. What mathematical theorem will withstand the need for a proof that tests for how you or I will decide to behave tomorrow? Or, for that matter, to test for what laws you or I might decide to enforce on other people's behavior?

Dan