patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Re: [livingmetaphor] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Re: [livingmetaphor] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

  • From: Dan Palanza <dan AT capecod.net>
  • To: livingmetaphor AT yahoogroups.com, <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc: RunnDancer AT aol.com
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Re: [livingmetaphor] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:14:10 -0400

Hi Mike,

> I found this statement both enlightening and amusing:
> "'In 20 years time perhaps all computer systems
> will be built on a theory that is understood.
> We are trying to establish these theories.' "

The quote as I understood it was only related to
one of the projects:

        2. Science for Global Ubiquitous Computing

> But "theory" implies a mathematical solution.

I disagree.  Theories are explanations sometimes
backed up with empirical data.  They can be mathematical
or not.

I do understand that "theory" is widely used in non-mathematical contexts. I am proposing that the misuse of the word is a major problem when it comes to issues of social science. If you don't mind me bringing in bookkeeping for a moment, which I am increasingly seeing as a social science problem. When I speak to mathematicians about double entry bookkeeping, sometimes consciously, and sometimes sub-consciously, they seem to me to be trying to get my words to fit a mental model they have that if what I am saying is to prove to be correct, at some point, the image of my argument must fit a mathematical notion of theoretical proof. With that mind set on their part, even the simplest things I say fall on deaf ears.

In fact, my research is increasingly validating a fact that the rationale for bookkeeping's solution to social science issues have a reciprocal rationale to the mathematical theorem. Where in mathematics one begins with the logical assumption of an axiom, which gets tested in empirical proofs, which in turn lets the assumed axiomatic model serve as a functional calculation of future behavior of the system, double-entry bookkeeping, as a pattern language, does just the reverse.

In bookkeeping, as pattern language, what is assumed is not a fixed physical axiom, it is a variable intellectual container--an account that receives an accounting. As in mathematics there is still a relation between the physical system of facts being interpreted through measurement and an intellectual language of accounts being compiled through _expression_. But where axioms are focusing on rectilineal and rectilineal rotational forces, as the behavior of the system being studied, bookkeeping is focusing on the identification of informational fields subject to signals that change the information within such fields.

Bookkeeping does measure as fact the value of a trade, but it makes no predictions based upon such facts. It uses those values to validate future states of the system in two ways: Profit [loss] and Balances that reflect future potential trades.

> Is there a single new "theory" that mathematics has
> added in the past 40 years for the benefit of
> understanding computing?

I would say yes, for example Grenander's General Pattern Theory.

I have not studied it, but I would be willing to bet that if it does form a pattern language, then it will encounter the same set of issues that bookkeeping encounters.

Its applicability extends _all_ domains from visual
pattern recognition, language, medical, software ...
you name it.

But there are many others, of course.

Yes, I have read a number of contemporary math books that increasingly work logic into mathematics. But just doing that without defining the implications of two reciprocal rationales--one lineal and one nonlineal--raises questions. My bet is that in all cases you will find a clear separation between the traditional mathematical interpretation of physical behavior as the system versus a non-traditional compilation of intellectual identification as the system's control language. Calling the non-traditional compilation of intellectual identification as the system's control language "mathematics," I find, serves no useful purpose.

> It seems to me that if progress toward understanding
> computer systems will be made in the next twenty years
> that progress will begin when a community of users
> gets their fossilized mathematical reasoning about
> "theories" out of the way.

Well, I agree with this.  But I think including
biomimetic or even biological theories (that are
not necessarily mathematical), is a good start.

I would rather argue that they are pattern languages, for the simple reason that they involve decision control behavior within the system of study itself, which does not happen in traditional mathematics. In traditional mathematics, once the theorem is proven the pattern is invariant. In biology we must do an accounting because the patterns are variable due to decision control within the system of study itself. Because the patterns are variable we call their accounting "pattern language." Even if all the individuals at birth inherit one same template of rules, their behavior, in patten form, may vary widely.

> The computer is a social science problem. Social
> science must deal with decision control.

I don't know if the "computer" is a social science
problem, but I would agree that Software Development
is mostly a social problem.

> What mathematical theorem will withstand the need
> for a proof that tests for how you or I will decide
> to behave tomorrow? Or, for that matter, to test
> for what laws you or I might decide to enforce on
> other people's behavior?

Localized Nash Equilibriums constrained by common laws?

You can probably call this an imposed "moral imperative" :-)

Mike, when Western science came into being it pushed out a widely supported art form called "Black Magic." Science didn't disprove Black Magic, is simply proved to be so magical in its own right that fewer and fewer people were willing to support half-baked competitors like Black Magic.

When the present economic community comes to understand double entry bookkeeping, what passes for economic theory in our times will go the way of "Black Magic;" that's a promise you can count on.

Dan