patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?

  • From: "Mike Beedle" <beedlem AT e-architects.com>
  • To: <livingmetaphor AT yahoogroups.com>, <feyerabend-project AT yahoogroups.com>, "'Patterns Discussion'" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] RE: What's your vote for the Grand Challenge?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:32:37 -0500

> I vote that the whole thing is a colossal crock.

Dan:

I didn't like the fact that they don't reference previous
art, like other on-going similar projects dating back
to 30 years. But I liked the interest in making
this a "Grand Challenge", like the Genome project.

> I found this statement both enlightening and amusing:
> "'In 20 years time perhaps all computer systems
> will be built on a theory that is understood.
> We are trying to establish these theories.' "

The quote as I understood it was only related to
one of the projects:

2. Science for Global Ubiquitous Computing

> But "theory" implies a mathematical solution.

I disagree. Theories are explanations sometimes
backed up with empirical data. They can be mathematical
or not.

> Is there a single new "theory" that mathematics has
> added in the past 40 years for the benefit of
> understanding computing?

I would say yes, for example Grenander's General Pattern Theory.

Its applicability extends _all_ domains from visual
pattern recognition, language, medical, software ...
you name it.

But there are many others, of course.

> It seems to me that if progress toward understanding
> computer systems will be made in the next twenty years
> that progress will begin when a community of users
> gets their fossilized mathematical reasoning about
> "theories" out of the way.

Well, I agree with this. But I think including
biomimetic or even biological theories (that are
not necessarily mathematical), is a good start.

> The computer is a social science problem. Social
> science must deal with decision control.

I don't know if the "computer" is a social science
problem, but I would agree that Software Development
is mostly a social problem.

> What mathematical theorem will withstand the need
> for a proof that tests for how you or I will decide
> to behave tomorrow? Or, for that matter, to test
> for what laws you or I might decide to enforce on
> other people's behavior?

Localized Nash Equilibriums constrained by common laws?

You can probably call this an imposed "moral imperative" :-)

- Mike