patterns-discussion - Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming

  • From: Pascal Costanza <pascal AT p-cos.net>
  • To: Jason.Baragry AT nr.no
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:12:16 +0100

Jason Baragry wrote:

G'Day,
Sorry for the off-topic question but the recent lisp discussion made me
think this was a good group of people to ask.
Does anyone know of a good lisp - java integration package? Specifically,
some way for Java to interpret Lisp expressions.
We have a lisp-based workflow engine that we want to add a Java client to.
However, the best package we have found, Jatha
(http://jatha.sourceforge.net/), doesn't seem to handle lisp structures.

I don't know enough about jatha, but Armed Bear Lisp seems to be a good choice here. See http://www.cliki.net/Armed%20Bear%20Lisp - they seem to have very good community support.

There exist also other solutions for integrating Java and Common Lisp. Opening a socket and using some protocol to have Lisp and Java talk to each other is pretty obvious, and there are several libraries that do that. However, there also more interesting approaches: Jfli is a library for Common Lisp that loads a Java runtime dll into the Lisp process in order to make use of Java from the Lisp side. See http://jfli.sourceforge.net/ - the author of that library seems to use it for its own work. Linj is a compiler for a subset of Common Lisp that translates directly into Java source code. Again, the author of that library uses it in a real-world project which has the requirement to accept only human-readable Java source code, so Linj focuses on producing Java code as if written by hand. ;) See http://www.evaluator.pt/ in the Downloads section.

Another option is to go for Scheme since there exist various Scheme implementations for Java, like SISC, JScheme and Kawa. (Personally, I don't like Scheme and strongly prefer Common Lisp, but your mileage may vary.)

I hope this helps.

Pascal