patterns-discussion - Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming

  • From: Kristian Elof Sørensen <elof AT image.dk>
  • To: Jason.Baragry AT nr.no, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Lisp (again) was RE: [patterns-discussion] Pattern-Oriented Programming
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:37:13 +0100

Hi Jason

Jason Baragry wrote:

G'Day,
Sorry for the off-topic question but the recent lisp discussion made me
think this was a good group of people to ask.
Does anyone know of a good lisp - java integration package? Specifically,
some way for Java to interpret Lisp expressions.
We have a lisp-based workflow engine that we want to add a Java client to.
However, the best package we have found, Jatha
(http://jatha.sourceforge.net/), doesn't seem to handle lisp structures.

Having myself delved into Lisp over the preceeding two years I too have had to figure out how to interface java libraries with Lisp programs or the other way around. Here are pointers to some of the more prominent tools.

jfli - a bridge between clos and java for Xanalys Lispworks. Lets you instantiate and access java classes running in a jvm, from java in a Lisp runtime. http://jfli.sourceforge.net

Armed Bear Common Lisp - a Common Lisp compiler that targets java bytecode. It is being used to implement and is distributed as a part of the editor J. http://armedbear-j.sourceforge.net

linj - a Common Lisp look-alike language and a converter from this language to java that generates code that looks surpricingly close to well written hand written code. http://www.evaluator.pt/linj.html

jLinker - a part of Franz Allegro Common Lisp 7.0 I have not personally tried this one. http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/7.0/doc/jlinker.html

Kristian