patterns-discussion - RE: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?

  • From: Jesús Alonso <kenchoweb AT hotmail.com>
  • To: jan AT cs.ubc.ca, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:05:20 +0200

Hi, mate. I'm mostly a game programmer, so my opinion might be biased by my field of work, but these are what I find most useful:

Observer: Everytime I need to notify interaction or changes in the systems.
Factory method: More generic factories or even defining the classes in external files.
State: Useful for finite state machines. Usually in AI, but I tend to use it everytime I have classes with changing behavior.
Facade and Adapter: Wrappers in general terms. Really good for encapsulating complex systems in relatively simple classes.
Bridge: Reducing complexity of elements by dividing their responsibilities in many different classes.
Mediator: Coordinate the different classes (game elements, GUI components...).
Composite: Complex systems made of smaller ones recursively.
Command: I found this specially useful for messaging between objects (in game terms: Interacting with other objects)
Singleton: With the help of the Facade pattern, great when you need to make many unique subsystems able to interact between them (in game terms: Graphics, Sound, Physics subsystems...)

Those are the ten I most use. I've put them as I remembered them, so that's the most objective ranking I can provide. Hope that helps.