patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?

  • From: "Steven E. Newton" <sen AT cookiehome.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Which patterns are more frequently used?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:12:34 -0700

Strictly based on my experience with too much Java and programmers with too little experience in OO and patterns, I would make a case for Singleton and Factory Method. In combination, the two can turn any system into an ugly procedural-oriented mess, and as Jan notes, much thread-related grief. The power of private constructor and public static methods is great, but that way lies the Dark Side. These same systems will show virtually no use of Observer.

In a more serious vein, Iterator seems widespread, especially with its explicit adoption in the Java container classes.

devendermarri wrote:
Hi Jan,

SingeltonPattern may not be there in top 10, bcos of the complexities it
posses in multi-threading programming
and also in c++. This object should be made atomic and synchronized so that
multi-threading operations
does not corrupt the data. Singelton makes the design easy but it also at
increased coupling and hard to maintain issues. I see most people tempted to
reduce the complexity of there design by using singelton. I think singelton
will be on the top for anti-patterns.

Thanks
Regards.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Hannemann" <jan AT cs.ubc.ca>