patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

  • From: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Al Boldi <a1426z AT gawab.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:57:59 -0800 (PST)

Al,

1) No. Observer and messaging are two separate design patterns (concepts).

3) If we think in terms of a realistic model, we realize that messaging (interchange of information) is everywhere around us. Therefore MDP can be applied to a wide variety of problems and applications. The MDP papers presents specific examples (Known uses section):

- Messaging Design Pattern (MDP) and pattern implementation -
17th conference on Pattern Languages of Programs (PLoP 2010).
https://jt.dev.java.net/files/documents/5553/150311/designPatterns.pdf

-  Messaging Design Pattern and a distributed Component/Service Model
https://jt.dev.java.net/files/documents/5553/149793/MDPdistributedModel.pdf

Some specific applications include Distributed Component Technologies, Web Services, ESB, BPEL technologies, design pattern implementation, messaging frameworks, etc.

In terms of performance and resource usage, MDP is very light and efficient. Keep in mind that messaging (core functionality) can be implemented with a single messaging interface:

public interface JtInterface  {
/**
  * Jt messaging interface used for the implementation
  * of the messaging design pattern.
  * Process an input message and return a reply (output message)
  */

  Object processMessage (Object message);
}

The Jt design pattern framework (based on MDP) runs on large servers as well as small devices (under Android) without performance degradation or memory issues.  In summary, messaging as a natural concept and design pattern seems to be very efficient and widely applicable (great designer).

Feel free to send any additional comments or questions that you may have.

Regards

P.S. Generics may be used for type checking. Similar to the iterator
implementation. I mention it because several people have brought it up:
interface Iterator<E> {
E next();
boolean hasNext();
}