patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

  • From: Al Boldi <a1426z AT gawab.com>
  • To: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu, Ralph Johnson <johnson AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:23:58 +0300

Messaging Design Pattern wrote:
> Perhaps you could elaborate in terms of why you think the messaging
> design pattern is complex (specific examples, etc). I'd like to
> understand. I believe it would benefit the discussion. I see it as a
> simple pattern (perhaps just me) with wide applicability .

The MDP as a concept is simple, but as a pattern it is complex.

Simple patterns directly map onto the underlying implementation, i.e. the
ITERATOR directly maps onto some loop implementation.

OTOH, Complex patterns do not directly map onto the underlying
implementation,
i.e. the OBSERVER does not have a directly mappable implementation, leaving
the door wide open for interpretation. To close this gap, you need to
decompose the complex pattern into its sub-patterns until you reach the
simple pattern level, which directly maps onto the implementation.

It is this decomposition of the complex pattern into its respective simple
patterns that should yield a proper understanding of the complex pattern.

In the case of the MDP, what sub-patterns are needed for a successful
implementation?

Thanks!

--
Al