patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)

  • From: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Ralph Johnson <johnson AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions (was: Messaging Design Patterns (MDP) reusability and QA)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:27:23 -0800 (PST)

Ralph,

I hope I've been able to convey why I think the idea of a realistic model can be useful while modeling software. I think it is something to think about. As I said earlier, it can prove to be quite useful given the proper consideration. It can give us a framework to think about problems and their solutions. It can help us explain concepts. We can extract solutions from reality. Obviously the model and the reality being represented should go hand in hand.  Specifically it helps illustrate why traditional technologies including O-O  and  distributed component technologies  need to add messaging in order to achieve a more complete/accurate model.

You raise a valid point regarding trade-offs. We can ask ourselves, why is it apparently difficult to find problems/trade-offs with messaging ? A very simple concept and yet it has wide applicability. Components are everywhere. So is messaging.  Messaging "is". Similar to Gravity and other natural laws, all these concepts exist in the real world. I'm not sure we can think of objects, gravity or messaging in terms of trade-offs. In this sense, the messaging concept doesn't seem to behave like other Design patterns where design trade-offs need to be made. Messaging is similar to the concept/abstraction of objects, force and gravity. In the case of messaging, it has been developed and improved for a long period of time. These communication mechanisms have gone through a process of natural selection. In the case of messaging between people (human speech), it is highly effective and efficient.

I'm afraid I cannot give you a better answer based on facts for this particular question.
We may ask the same question for other concepts like Gravity and Force.

On the other hand, based on observation and faith we can believe that there is great Designer behind nature and all things in reality. Perfection is not unattainable. Gravity and  Messaging have been put in place. We can only attempt to understand, model and mimic them. Probably we will never be able to find flaws or improve upon them.

"We can gain valuable insight from the patterns found in nature and the real world regarding the inner workings of specific problems and proven alternatives of solution. Based on our observation of the world around us, we need to think in terms of a messaging paradigm while designing and building distributed applications.  Software engineering processes are improved as a result. We need to think not only about self-contained components but also in terms of the information (i.e. messaging) being exchanged between these components. In reality, these two aspects are independent and separate from one another.  In our particular scenario, we have been able to employ the messaging paradigm to define a complete distributed component and messaging model in which transparent, secure and reliable communication between components/applications is accomplished. As always, we should praise the wisdom of the Designer for the versatility and simplicity of nature’s patterns and beautiful design."

I'll cover implementation aspects shortly. Also, I'll update the MDP paper based on the comments/questions received. Specifically in the areas where additional clarification is needed to avoid misinterpretations.

Blessed holidays for all of us.