patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Patterns for self-updateable systems?

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Patterns for self-updateable systems?

  • From: "Hanmer, Robert S (Robert)" <robert.hanmer AT alcatel-lucent.com>
  • To: Dragos Manolescu <dmanoles AT gmail.com>, "patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc: "telecom-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu" <telecom-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Patterns for self-updateable systems?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:56:38 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi Dragos,

Not a whole lot has been published in the form of patterns for self-update.
There are of course ideas and techniques but some are not published for
competitive reasons.

I'll point you first to chapter 12 of "Robust Communications Software" by
Greg Utas. He talks about the core techniques for Hitless Patching, Hitless
Upgrade and Rolling Upgrade. These aren't quite patterns as we know them and
I'm pretty sure you won't find earlier versions from Greg in any of the PLoP
proceedings.
http://www.amazon.com/Robust-Communications-Software-Availability-Carrier-Grade/dp/0470854340/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331664530&sr=1-1

There is a forthcoming book from two colleagues, Randee Adams and Eric Bauer,
"Reliability and Availability of Cloud Computing", that might have something
of relevance to your search, I'm not sure. It is coming from IEEE Press this
summer.
http://www.amazon.com/Reliability-Availability-Cloud-Computing-Bauer/dp/1118177010/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331664253&sr=8-2

One of the biggest problems is always the data conversion from one release to
the next release. The schema update in database terms. I wonder (but don't
know) if concepts like meta-programming and reflection can help.

Bob