charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Kelly Davis <kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:14:05 -0500

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Kelly Davis
<kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
wrote:
> I just cloned charm++ from git and am trying to get it to compile on OS X. I
> am doing so via...
>
> ./build charm++ net-darwin-x86_64 smp syncft mlogft
>
> This does not work.

Hi Kelly,

This particular set of options is not expected to work. You've
requested that the runtime be built to support 2 different fault
tolerance protocols simultaneously, where the code is only written to
enable one at a time. In their current form, it doesn't really make
sense to combine them. I also don't know how well they currently
interact with the SMP support in the runtime.

Additionally, they're both somewhat experimental, and not so much
suited for day-to-day use as yet. Unless you're building with FT for
the explicit sake of experimenting with them, they're probably not
what you want. Since you're building the OS X, I assume you're
targeting a single node, rather than a cluster (the last I knew of
shut down a few years ago), in which case the FT options don't really
do anything when the lone application process fails.

So, my overall suggestion: if you just want to write, compile, and run
Charm++ applications, drop the FT options.

We'll add a test in the code that will give a more explicit error on
these incompatible options and stop the build cleanly.

Thanks!

Phil