charm - [charm] Compiling the charm++ from git

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Compiling the charm++ from git

  • From: Kelly Davis <kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Compiling the charm++ from git
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 04:55:53 -0700 (PDT)

I just cloned charm++ from git and am trying to get it to compile on OS X. I am doing so via...

./build charm++ net-darwin-x86_64 smp syncft mlogft

This does not work.

The problem does not seem to be in any configuration on my side, but it seems as if there are
errors in ckmessagelogging.C and other files.

In particular,  the first error is...

ckmessagelogging.C:28:13: error: redefinition of ‘const char* idx2str(const CkArrayIndex&)’
charm++.h:1080:20: error: ‘const char* idx2str(const CkArrayIndex&)’ previously defined here

It looks like ckmessagelogging.C:28 redefines the function idx2str by simply calling the pre-
existing function. I am not sure of the reasoning behind this, maybe at some point it had to do
with the compilation units that have now, due to differing includes, changed?

The next error...

ckmessagelogging.C: In function ‘void sendTicketRequest(CkObjID&, CkObjID&, int, MlogEntry*, MCount, MCount, int)’:
ckmessagelogging.C:544:16: error: ‘class envelope’ has no member named ‘freeMsg’

Comes from the fact that envelope has no member freeMsg. Looking at older versions of charm++
it seems as if the member freeMsg was there but has now been removed. I looks like the functionality
of this member has now been taken over by the flags member of envelope.

The next error...

ckmessagelogging.C: In function ‘void _localMessageAckHandler(LocalMessageLogAck*)’:
ckmessagelogging.C:1216:11: error: ‘class envelope’ has no member named ‘localMlogEntry’

Comes from the fact that envelope has no member localMlogEntry. Again, looking at older versions
of envelope one finds this member was there, but now is not.

The next error...

ckmessagelogging.C: In function ‘int preProcessReceivedMessage(envelope*, Chare**, MlogEntry**)’:
ckmessagelogging.C:1312:28: error: ‘class envelope’ has no member named ‘localMlogEntry’

similar to that above.

I won't continue with all the errors. However, suffice it to say there are many more in ckmessagelogging.C,
ckarray.h, cklocation.h...

Is this a known problem?

Best,
Kelly