charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

  • From: Kelly Davis <kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: Esteban Meneses-Rojas <emenese2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "Miller, Philip B" <mille121 AT illinois.edu>, "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, "Kale, Laxmikant V" <kale AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Esteban,

>The mlogft version of Charm++ is in fact an experimental version
>that we are trying to replace by a different message logging protocol.
>However, this new message logging mechanism is not production-level>yet.

Ok, mlogft is experimental. Good to know.

Any idea on an ETA for the new message logging mechanism?

>Regarding your application, how tightly coupled are the containers?

They are loosely coupled.

Each component has no knowledge of the internal structure of any other
component. Basically, they are the software equivalent of Lego blocks.

>Do they exchange lots of messages?

I would say they don't exchange "a lot" of messages, whatever that might mean.

One can think of the process as a unidirectional pipeline.  A request comes
in and it kicks-off the processing pipeline. The pipeline itself, when
finished,
will have maybe 30 steps.

>How big are these messages?

The messages can vary in size anywhere from 500B to  2MB.

Any feedback is welcome.

Kelly