charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Kelly Davis <kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Compiling the charm++ from git
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:37:30 -0500

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Kelly Davis
<kdavis AT alum.mit.edu>
wrote:
>>This particular set of options is not expected to work. You've
>>requested that the runtime be built to support 2 different fault
>>tolerance protocols simultaneously, where the code is only written to
>>enable one at a time.
>
> So, I have to choose if I want "fault tolerance support" xor if I want
> "message logging fault tolerance support"?
>
> Also, could you elaborate a bit more on what...
>
>>In their current form, it doesn't really make sense to combine them
>
> means?

It seems that the 'syncft' option was labeled poorly, then. That's
specifically the double in-memory checkpoint/restart fault tolerance
mechanism. The other mechanism, 'mlogft', is based on message logging.
Either one of syncft or mlogft enables fault tolerance support, but
only one mechanism or the other can work at a time.